Grid Digitalization can be seen as enhancing and augmenting the conventional electricity grid data with the integration of information and communication technologies using operational technologies such as SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition), EMS (Energy Management System), DMS (Distribution Management System), GIS (Geographical Information System), AMR (Automated Meter Reading) and ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning).
Data management will increasingly become customer-centric and needs to address challenges such as dynamically maintaining grid operations in near real-time. A key prerequisite for meeting these goals is to understand the relationship between ‘high-level’ business processes and ‘low-level’ resource metrics. However, mapping business processes onto metrics that are retrieved from managed databases is an upcoming need for digital grid operations.
The central characteristic that makes the Common Information Model (CIM) special is its methodology, which is defined by the International Electric Committee (IEC) in the standards IEC 61970, IEC 61968 and IEC 62325. Creating a single source of truth for the network model planning and operation allows for collaboration, modelling and streamlining of dataflows. It also makes it easy to apply business intelligence to capture more insights in the terms of asset management, cost-benefit analysis and system life cycle processes.
Some of the most prominent ways in which CIM is digitalizing the grid from design to completion are:
- CIM delivers visibility, collaboration and workflow efficiency
- CIM enables clients to pre- and post analyse the business processes
- CIM supports simulation and visualization in the fourth dimension
- CIM supports the integration of IT and OT environments
- An organization that has already decided it needs to implement CIM for network model management or wishes to know more about what CIM would mean for them;
- Anyone implementing CIM into their organization, their own work practices, or helping their clients;
- Managers, data owners, data architects and interface developers of power utilities (TSOs and DSOs) who need up-to-date knowledge of CIM.
Your benefitsThis general CIM training will enable you to:
- Explain why and how CIM is a key driver of improvement in grid operations, planning and asset management
- Explain how the existing CIM standards, packages, classes and attributes fit together
- Explain how CIM roadmapping and activities fit into broader issues of data security, quality and assurance
- Describe the use of "the Common Grid Model Exchange Standard (CGMES)" in network management
- Describe the use of electricity market profiles in market information exchange
- Provide an insight on real-life challenges in implementing CIM
Training subjects on the CIM fundamentals:
- CIM introduction
- UML & Enterprise Architecture Basics
- CIM IEC 61968, IEC 61970 and IEC 62325
- CIM Roadmap
- Importance of Conformance Testing
- NextGen Operations
Please refer to the leaflet for more information.
On request, we also provide in-company and/or customized training courses in English. Additional elective workshops are further extension to this standard CIM training on fundamentals. In one day we can cover a maximum of 2-4 electives. If the customer would like to join all the elective workshops, we can offer another full three-day training (i.e., 8 hours per day in classroom or virtual arrangements accordingly). If the customer demands training for one elective only, we can arrange an extra four-hour of training and brainstorm session. Please contact us for more specific information on the elective workshops.
Additional elective workshops for CIM:
- CIM and Data Analytics
- CIM and Asset Management
- CIM and Distribution Management System
- CIM and Customer Operations
- Data Management, Data Quality, a CIM prerequisite
- EU Energy Market
- DNO-DSO transition
- Harmonization with other standards (IEC 61850, COSEM)
- Developing CIM Roadmap and Requirements
Content, location and duration of the course can be adapted to your specific needs. Please contact us for more information.